|The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimens: Special Edition (1984)|
Across The Eighth Dimension!
"The very oddest good movie in many a full moon," Buckaroo Banzai combines "humor, imagination, a little oriental mysticism and a passel of sharp performances [into] very chic sci-fi" (Time )! Oscar® nominees Peter Weller and John Lithgow team with Emmy® winners Ellen Barkin and Christopher Lloyd for a fiendishly clever, action-packed adventure in an outlandish world you'll want to visit again and again!
Brilliant brain surgeon Banzai (Weller) just made scientific history. Shifting his Oscillation Overthruster into warp speed, he's the first man ever to travel to the Eighth Dimension… and come back sane! But when his sworn enemy, the demented Dr. Lizardo (Lithgow), devises a plot to steal the Overthruster and bring an evil army of aliens back to destroy Earth, Buckaroo goes cranium to cranium with the madman in an extra-dimensional battle that could result in total annihilation of the universe!
In the disc’s main menu, press the 'Left' arrow key on your remote control to highlight the center car. Now press 'Enter' and you will get to see a list of quotes from the movie.
In the main menu. Once again, press the 'Left' arrow key on your remote control to highlight the Banzai car and then press it once again and the yellow button in the upper left corner will be highlighted. Press 'Enter' now to get a look at alternative menu designs for the DVD that were ultimately abandoned in favor of the final one.
In the 'Special Features' section. Select the 'Deleted Scenes' and then highlight the 'Special Features' menu entry at the bottom of the screen. Press the 'Left' arrow key now to highlight the melon and then press 'Enter' to get access to a made-up newspaper article about Perfect Tommy's experiment with dropping watermelons from the sky to relieve world famine.
Inside that hidden feature there is actually another one. In the newspaper clipping, hit the 'More' button to get to the second page and there press the 'Up' arrow key to highlight the Buckaroo Banzai logo. It will give you access to then see a brief interview with the director about the whole watermelon question, and a bit about a recipe for 'Chicken in a Watermelon'!
In the 'Special Features' menu, go to the second page. Now select the 'Banzai Institute Archives' menu entry. Highlight the 'Special Features' entry at the bottom, followed by the 'Right' arrow key to highlight another Banzai symbol. This will give you access to a images of alternate DVD packaging designs for the movie.
Multiple hidden features
Access The Egg
1. If you select the middle Jet Car image on the first menu screen, you will be able to scroll through a selection of quotes from Doctor Banzai.
2. If you select the yellow circle in the top left corner of the first menu screen, you will be able to scroll through 36 alternate DVD menu designs.
3. If you select the Banzai Institute logo on the Banzai Institute Archive Menu screen, you will be able to scroll through two alternate DVD cover designs.
4. If you select the watermelon image on the first Deleted Scenes Menu screen, you will be taken to an article called "Food from the Skies?" which discusses why the Banzai Institute was putting watermelons in high guages.
5. If you select the BB logo on the second screen of the "Food from the Skies?" article, you will be taken to a video clip of W.D. Richter called "Why?" where he discusses watermelons and shows a recipe for Chicken in a Watermelon.
Collection no. 9